Skip to main content

Bullying Prevention Resources

What is Bullying?

Bullying occurs when a student or group of students engages in written or verbal expression, expression through electronic methods, or physical conduct against another student on school property, at a school-sponsored or related activity, or in a District operated vehicle, and the behavior:

  • Results in harm to the student or the student's property
  • Places a student in reasonable fear of physical harm or of damage to the student's property, or
  • Is so severe, persistent, and pervasive that it creates an intimidating, threatening, or abusive education environment

This conduct is considered bullying if it exploits an imbalance of power between the student perpetrator(s) and the student victim, and if it interferes with a student's education or substantially disrupts the operation of the school. Bullying is prohibited by the District and could include hazing, taunting, teasing, confinement, assault, demands for money, destruction of property or valued possessions, name-calling, rumor-spreading, or ostracism. In some cases, bullying can occur through electronic methods, called "cyberbullying."

Bully Reporting

If a student believes that he or she has experienced bullying or has witnessed bullying of another student, it is important for the student or parent to notify a teacher, school counselor, principal, or another District employee as soon as possible to obtain assistance and intervention.

Another way to report bullying is for a student to complete an online bully report. Any retaliation against a student who reports an incident of bullying is prohibited. Please also read our District Freedom from Bullying Policy (Opens in new window).

Counseling Available

If the results of an investigation indicate that bullying has occurred; available counseling options will be provided to both the victim and the student who engaged in the bullying, as well as to any students who have been identified as witness to the bullying. Counseling may be provided by the school counselor or Student/Family Advocate.