Services Provided By The Amarillo ISD Homeless Liaison
Every Local Educational Agency (LEA), otherwise known as school district, must designate an appropriate staff person as a liaison for students in homeless situations.
Liaisons must ensure the following:
- Children and youth in homeless situations are identified by school personnel and through coordination activities with other entities and agencies.
- Students enroll in, and have full and equal opportunity to succeed in, the schools of the LEA
- Families, children and youth receive educational services for which they are eligible, including Head Start, Even Start and pre-school programs administered by the LEA, and referrals to health, mental health, dental and other appropriate services.
- Parents or guardians are informed of educational and related opportunities available to their children and are provided with meaningful opportunities to participate in the education of their children.
- Public notice of the educational rights of students in homeless situations is disseminated where children and youth receive services under the Act.
- Enrollment disputes are mediated in accordance with the Enrollment Disputes section of the McKinney-Vento Act.
- Parents and guardians and unaccompanied youth are fully informed of all transportation services, including to the school of origin, and are assisted in accessing transportation services.
- Liaisons must assist children and youth who do not have immunizations or immunization or medical records to obtain necessary immunizations or immunization or medical records.
- Liaisons must help unaccompanied youth choose and enroll in a school, after considering the youths’ wishes, and provide youth with notice of their right to appeal an enrollment decision that is not their choice.
- Liaisons must ensure that unaccompanied youth are immediately enrolled in school pending resolution of disputes that might arise over school enrollment or placement.
- The school selected shall immediately enroll the child/youth in school, even if the child or youth lacks records normally required for enrollment, such as previous academic records, medical records, proof of residency, or other documentation.
Contact Information For The Amarillo ISD Homeless Liaison
Kimber Riha-Thompson, Homeless Liaison | Phone: 806-326-1742 | Fax: 806-322-4079
LEA Name: Amarillo I.S.D.